Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Family | Digital Layout

When I look through my scrapbook pages (both digital and traditional), I see a lot of white. And kraft. And black. Plus grungy fonts, primary colors, and hardly any pink. A majority of my layouts feature pictures of Mark, Evan, and Jack... and they definitely do not like pink. 

But pink happens to be one of my favorite colors. I adore pink flowers (especially tulips), pink pajamas bottoms, my Flamingo Pink Fiestaware, and the pink purse I bought at Target a few months ago. After today, I can add this layout to my "favorite pink things" list. 

I used Celeste Knight's Honeysuckle kit along with a photo of my mom, great-aunt, and cousin. This photo was taken in my parent's backyard last summer. I really wanted my layout to convey femininity, love, and family, so I converted the photo to black & white, and used some beautiful elements and papers from the Honeysuckle kit to embellish my layout. My favorite element from this layout is the gorgeous floral patterned paper directly behind the photo. I don't always mat my photos (and especially not on patterned paper), but it works here. To keep with the feminine theme, I added flower stickers, gold washi, pink paint splatters, and two white doilies, delicately tucked under the photo. 

Was this layout completely outside of my comfort zone? Yes. Absolutely yes. But do I love it? Another yes! Sometimes pushing myself to try new things, new color combos, or new techniques can push me creatively, and I usually like the results. 


I have a huge stack of photos sitting on my desk right now, and most of them feature a little boy or two, so no more pink. It's back to "little boy" layouts, neutral colors, and my favorite typewriter font. 

3 comments:

Dictionary said...

Such a pretty layout, love the use of the B&W photo with your color combo.

Unknown said...

What a lovely photo and lovely layout! You did a good job for stepping outside your comfort zone.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful layout, it definitely conveys all of the feelings that you were going for!